BENEFITS | Introduction | Client | Contracting | Environmental |
Off-site volumetric modular build offers many benefits to both the main contractor and to the contracting process. Many of these benefits also offer additional advantages for the client and benefit the environment, including:
- Fully fitted factory manufacture of product guarantees full supply chain control and simplifies the chain of custody process.
- Build time is reduced by up to 50%, which reduces disruption and disturbance at site, and offers a saving on preliminaries.
- Fully fitted modules delivered on a just-in-time basis reduce site storage requirements.
- Factory manufacture and fit-out reduces site waste by up to 90%, thereby reducing cost and disruption, and assisting the main contractor’s planning process and reducing site waste management requirements.
- Off-site manufacture results in a cleaner, safer site offering significant improvement in on-site safety.
- Off-site fit-out reduces the on-site labour requirement, and by default the on-site management requirement.
- Deliveries and on-site vehicle movements are significantly reduced.
- Inspection and handover of product is undertaken in a controlled, well-planned manner removing the need for a main contractor to rush towards the end of a project life cycle to complete a building on time.
- Cost certainty is assured as a result of the volumetric modular build process requiring more detailed and thorough planning prior to any product reaching site, and hence it forces the main contractor to apply lean construction principles to the overall build process.
- UMS can undertake the external cladding and roofing works, some of which can be incorporated into product prior to it leaving the factory.